The Travis Chiong Blog. Read for your Pleasure.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

On What Matters Most

Metrics. I think everything substantial and relevant to this world is measurable. I think that all rational things have points of comparison and rules to measure them by. But what do I know about this world? I know that numbers don't lie, and when you learn how to look at numbers and compare what they mean to the bigger picture, numbers - even in their bare and raw form - can tell you more about this world.

Most in this life, I think, is fleeting and will not stay relevant for too long. This blog will probably outlast the things we think are relevant now. Probably in ten years. Probably tomorrow. Who knows.

But what I do know, is that in order to keep yourself relevant to this fast-paced environment is to never stop learning, updating, upgrading and never, ever lose focus. It's a challenge, but another thing I know in this life is that the more you work hard for something, the more the reward will be worth all your efforts to attain it.

Probably I'm rambling. Probably I'm not. I've learned enough to be open-minded about everything. Alongside the lessons of being open-minded is that you care about less things than before. You hold less emotional stake at things when you are open-minded.

Of course, I am an opinionated person and that won't change until the day I can no longer write, but I now tend to keep the things I want to care deeply about at a minimum.

It's the same about the company you keep. You can't hold them all in equal regard. Some will fade away, some will grow and flourish and be of continuous relevance. Of equal, beneficial coexistence.

No comments :

Post a Comment